Voter Enrollment

Choosing to Enroll in a Political Party

There are three political parties in Massachusetts:

  • Democratic
  • Libertarian
  • Republican

If you enroll in any of these three parties, you may vote only in that party's primary. Enrollment in a political party does not affect your right to vote in the general elections. 

In the general election, all voters receive the same ballot and vote for the candidate of their choice, regardless of party enrollment.

Choosing No Enrollment

If you do not wish to enroll in a party, check the box next to "NO PARTY (UNENROLLED)" on the registration form.

Choosing to Enroll in a Political Designation

In addition to the three "political Parties" listed above, there are certain political designations. Currently these are:

  • American Independent Party (Q)
  • Conservative Party (A)
  • Constitution Party (K)
  • Green Party USA (G)
  • Green-Rainbow (J)
  • Interdependent 3rd Party (T)
  • Massachusetts Independent Party (O)
  • Natural Law Party (B)
  • New Alliance Party (N)
  • New World Council (C)
  • Prohibition Party (P)
  • Rainbow Coalition (F)
  • Reform Party (E)
  • Socialist (S)
  • Timesizing Not Downsizing (M)
  • Veterans Party America (W)
  • We the People (H)
  • World Citizens Party (Y)

If you enroll in any political designations listed above, YOU MAY NOT VOTE in any state or presidential PRIMARY.

Change Party Enrollment of Political Designation

Once you make an enrollment choice, you may change your enrollment status by notifying your election official in writing at least 20 days before an election.