I'm opening a business in Medfield; What do I need to do?

You will need to register your business name by filing a business certificate with the Town Clerk.

Other considerations:

  • Building Permit: To construct, enlarge, alter, remove, or demolish a structure or amend electrical or plumbing you may need a building permit. Doing interior or exterior work without a building permit may result in fines. Consult the Building Department. 
  • Certificate of Occupancy: If a building permit was required, you will need a certificate of occupancy once the work has been completed.
  • Special Permit: Check to see if the use being planned requires a special permit in the zoning district in which the property is located. Consult Planning Department
  • Site Plan Approval: Construction or exterior alteration of a commercial or industrial structure may require Site Plan Approval by the Planning Board. Alterations or upgrades to stormwater systems may be required for expansion of parking lots. Consult the Planning Department to see if a Change of Use Determination by the Planning Board for nonresidential uses is required. 

Will there be enough parking?

Each use has required parking based on factors such as retail square footage or the number of restaurant seats. Check the Parking Requirements in the Zoning By-Laws. The Zoning Board of Appeals may reduce the requirement by special permit in the Downtown Parking District.

Show All Answers

1. Who must file a Business Certificate?
2. I'm opening a business in Medfield; What do I need to do?
3. Signs for a new business?
4. I am opening a new restaurant; What do I need to do?
5. I am opening a new retail store; What do I need to do?
6. I'm opening a professional office; What do I need to do?